Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Crushed Little Kids Adorn the Boardwalk


Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

I was riding in a car with Douglas “DJ Teach Me How 2 Dougie” Sweeney the other day, and my 6-disc (yes, I still use compact discs in the car) popped on this little gem of an album. The Dead Kennedys aren’t exactly en vogue lately, and I still haven’t gotten over Jello Biafra’s support of Jerry Brown in the recent California gubernatorial election (not that I cared for the alternative, mind you, I just don’t appreciate the irony), but I’ll be goddamned if this isn’t a near perfect album.

From start to finish, it’s everything we love about the DK’s: it’s a catchy, clever, and biting sound that added a whole new dimension to the punk scene during its time, especially in California. Jello’s not afraid to say whatever it is he feels like saying. It pushed boundaries with crass satire and “I don’t need this fucking world” sentiments that eventually created a voice for the countless.

With these punk-standard albums I’ve been beating into you lately, I feel like it’s pointless to really harp on them. You’re either into it, or you’re not. If you aren’t, I should say, just listen to the fuckin’ thing.

-Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment