Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chill the fuck out (((seriously)))

After a lot of sniffling, cold mornings, and rhinovirus infections, we're finally getting some beautiful warm weather. Coincidentally, two albums have been playing nonstop on my iPod. When I'm at school I catch myself briskly walking under the sun. Sweat starts to form under my armpits, so I stop to take off my hoodie (why the fuck am I wearing it?) and either wrap it around my waist or around the strap of my book bag. I take the opportunity to swap my eyeglasses with sunglasses and put the perfect tune on my iPod. When I begin walking again, my speed and demeanor have changed.

I'm no longer just pacing towards destination X anymore. Destination X is now just a general goal, and every slow step under the sun warms me up more and more, but I don't go in the shade. I strut by, bobbing my head like an egyptian dancer, ironically to artists who are currently some feet under the snow.

Ducktails- Ducktails III: Arcade Dynamics


Ducktails is cool. Ducktails is sunny. Ducktails is pop. Ducktails is awesome.

Ducktails is Matthew Mondanile.

Matt is also a guitarist in Real Estate. Awesome.

This is so New Jersey. You'll hear similar guitar vibes here as you do in a Real Estate album, but the songs seem more distant, more abstract. Instead of a drum kit, there might be a strange repetitive electronic noise keeping the rhythm, or some simple tambourine, sometimes two tambourines. There may be bass, there may not. But there will be guitars, many of them.

Highlights include Hamilton Road, The Razor's Edge, Killin' The Vibe, and Don't Make Plans. There's also a song called Art Vandalay, what's there not to love?

There's also a version of Killin' The Vibe featuring the aid of Panda Bear, and Woods' Jarvis Taveniere, and Dent May. (The album version doesn't have Panda Bear on it, but you can listen to it here on pitchfork).

Kurt Vile- Constant Hitmaker


(Best album cover in a long time)

Kurt Vile is based in Philly, and often plays with his band The Violators. This album is all him though. Kurt is one of the most interesting song writers in the Indie rock circles. He was one of the pioneers of the re-emergence of bedroom pop, drowned in reverb, fuzz, and everything fun, mellow, and light hearted. He gives off the impression of someone who can write as many songs as he wants, whenever he wants. He knows how to fit words into any little corner of a chord, and has intelligible lyrics to go along with it. He's that genius high school dropout, or something.

These songs are often simply fingerpicked guitar and vocals. Sometimes they are not. He makes perfect use of the space he has in your headphones, putting the right sounds in the right places. His goal is the shroud himself in a cloak of mysteriousness... or maybe the dude just loves ambiance. Freeway kicks off with the most accessible and "full" songs in the album. The album kicks into a lower gear and you get an intimate couple of songs with Kurt. Slowly more synths and drumkits are introduced, and towards the last half of the album you are buried.

But have no worries, Kurts got your back.

Classic Rock in Spring/Freeway in Mind will dig you out and leave you feeling as light as a feather. Its really an amazing feeling going through this album.



Hey, how are ya?
You sure got a way of greeting a man.
But I had the perfect sun tan.
Your riding on your yellow Schwann.
Blasting classic rock in spring.
A couple of summer demons.
With battery recharging.
When you hear the Bob Seger song, you know I'll be long gone.
Cutting all my classes, like a hit of acid.
Hey, how are ya?



PS-I made this last night:

Photobucket

Some exciting news: We've purchased a domain name (lyhd.us), and recorded our first podcast. These things are in the future, or the semi-near future. Hopefully soon.
love, amir

No comments:

Post a Comment