Thursday, February 3, 2011

Five-Beer Plan



Joyce Manor - Joyce Manor

After months of waiting I finally came across the new Joyce Manor full length at a small DIY house show in Garden Grove, CA. I’ve seen the band numerous times before and was a huge fan of the 3rd release, Constant Headache. The band finally went on- fists got thrown into the air and people started screaming along. It’s been years since I’ve seen a band so young with so much passion and energy pack a house and put themselves on the map. 10 tracks and about 18 minutes of angst and intensity. A nice breath of fresh air for punk music and a great follow up release to (in my personal opinion) 2010’s best punk album— Leatherface’s The Stormy Petrel released on No Idea Records.

Joyce Manor comes out of Torrance, CA and consists of members Barry Johnson (vocals & guitar), Matt Ebert (Bass & Vocals), Kurt Walcher (Drums), and Chase Knobbe (guitar). A four piece band that blends angsty melodic choruses with loud energetic drum work.

The band was signed to record label 6131 Records. This label is well known for signing hardcore bands such as Touché Amore, Alpha & Omega, Cruel Hand, and Sinking Ships. They decided to sign Joyce Manor (a band that really sticks out on the label) and may I say it was one of the best decisions they have made.

The album starts off with the tracks Orange Julius and Call Out which are great fast, catchy songs with great sing-a-long lyrics. Then it follows up with one of the best tracks from the album Beach Community. Now this track really stood out to me over the entire album. Towards the end of the song on the last verse you hear a strong, passionate scream backing up Barry singing “everything reminds me of you.” This scream is the one and only, Matt Ebert. Throughout the whole album I was blown away by Matt’s back up singing. It got to me the more and more I listened to the album. Great voice and Beach Community really emphasizes it.

Derailed, Leather Jacket, and Constant Nothing were re recorded from previous releases. Derailed from EW Gross. Leather Jacket and Constant Nothing from the EP Constant Headache. These songs really stood out from the band’s catalogue and I can see why they were chosen to go on the new release. Plus, the production on Barry screaming “in your new leather jacket you’re somebody else” was pretty fucking cool. The album closes off with my favorite song; Constant Headache. The song runs 3:04 (the longest song on the album), and is a great closing song filled with remorse and loathing and some of the best lyrics I’ve heard in awhile. I personally scream my throat to a bloody pulse when I hear it live. The song closes with great instrument collaboration and wraps it all up beautifully. There is a lot of potential for a young band like this. I can only see good things to come in the future for them. Cheers.

-Jesse “Art Fag” Torres (Guest)

We're always happy to take guest-ups. We publish 'em every Thursday. The only requirement is that you make the shit interesting. Send us anything (for now) at: letyerhairdown@gmail.com. Dig!

No comments:

Post a Comment