Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gentlemen, On Your Marks...

4b87420b68592d414449009ae0a9dbf6

Gentleman Jesse & His Men - s/t

After a fortnight of a recovery period due to nearly fatal science-overload, the blog is back in full health, with two new posts today! Let's get on with it, shall we?

Listening to this album, it's no shock that these gents started to spread their tunes while opening for Black Lips. It's not the abrasive, smoking in the school bathroom brand of punk Black Lips have explored so well, but it's just the same in that it takes you to a simpler time. I'm going to put this out there right away - there is nothing original or innovative about this album in any way. These guitars, these "won't you be mine"-esque lyrics, the 70s pop production - the whole sound has been done. But here's the catch, it hasn't been this well done in at least 3 decades.

Sure, there's nothing new to behold, but this album has something going for it that almost none do - every song is completely listenable, dare I say, enjoyable. There's never a reason to change the track, because fuck me, you're having too much fun listening to it. It's refreshing this day and age, which is to say, the age of electronic weirdo fuzz and minimalistic masquerade boringness, to hear a band that's having fun, and they are, it shows in every chord on the record. Let me state that I am in not disparaging experimental bands, I'm just a simpler type of guy who enjoys an album that's completely up-front and unpretentious from time to time. I record that makes you wanna drive with the top down, or if you don't have a convertible because you're logical, imagine that you could put the top down.

I know I post a lot of garagey rock and pop, but there is a purpose to this to all this throwback feel-goodery - I want you, dear readers to please, in these harsh times, have some fun - and use this album as the background music.

-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment