Friday, October 29, 2010

Black, Grey, and waking up from a Coma

Weekend- Sports (2010) Slumberland Records

Photobucket

Music stands out to me in different ways. One artist may grab me with some insightful or catchy lyrics, while others make harsh noises that I somehow find soothing through my broken ears... Another way music grabs me is by color.
Yes,
Color.

Some bands really carve their own color spectra... The Grateful Dead give me this sort of bright, translucent, flashing light sort of aesthetic, while Thee Oh Sees send me through muddled purple and black landscapes. Now that I think about it, these color schemes usually arise from heavily instrumental bands.

Weekend, a relatively new San Francisco outfit, produces a similar effect in me. With Weekend, it's spectra of grey and black, and not distinct, but muddied into one another. The guitar (guitars?) (more guitars???) come through your headphones left and right, from what seems like miles away, trying to catch up with the steady and thick basslines... as they layer, and scream, and buildup. Voices in the background start from distant echoes and chants, and beautifully build up in tangible melodies perfectly in tune with the strings and drums.

(((({Deathgaze}))))

This music is dark... but as NPR put it... it still somehow manages to be comforting. Through all the echoes and distortion, are beautiful melodies that may at first seem so distant, but once found are all you can hear.

Sports is due out in November. I'm putting this up NOT to be an asshole to the band, BUT to convince you all to go see them open for Sonny & the Sunsets, and Pains of Being Pure at Heart, at the Echoplex on November 12. Buy their LP, give them a hug, do what you gotta do.

Here's my personal favorite off the album: Coma Summer



love, Amir

No comments:

Post a Comment